Uninsured Motorists (UM) coverage: This type of insurance provides coverage when an at-fault driver has no insurance. It also provides coverage when an accident involves an unidentified “phantom” vehicle that forces a driver off the road, or a hit-and-run driver who flees the scene without providing any identification. Under Missouri and Illinois law, your basic auto insurance coverage must include a minimum amount of uninsured motorist “UM” coverage. You may have paid a premium to obtain a higher amount of UM coverage.

Under-Insured Motorists (UIM) coverage: This insurance provides coverage when the at-fault driver does not have enough insurance to compensate you for your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Missouri and Illinois law do not mandate UIM coverage, which means you have to purchase it as part of your car insurance policy. Here’s how it works: If you are involved in a car or truck accident and the at-fault driver has the minimum liability coverage under Missouri law ($25,000), you can  recover from the at-fault driver that amount of insurance, then your “UIM” Coverage will cover any amount of  damages you suffer over and above $25,000 and up to the limit of your UIM coverage. This can be very difficult in most situations. However, UIM insurance on your policy can cover some or all of your remaining damages depending on the amount of coverage you purchased.