Posted by Sansone / Lauber Trial Lawyers on November 12, 2009SHARE IT
This guest post was contributed by Donna Mitchell (she is not affiliated with Sansone Law), who regularly writes on the topic of paralegal schools online. She welcomes your comments and questions at her email address: email@example.com.
5 Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney:
It’s tough when you’ve met with an accident, one that has not just left you with physical injuries but also caused deep emotional and psychological scars as well. How do you make the people responsible for your situation pay accordingly? Even if you’re not the kind who exacts revenge, you need some form of compensation for your medical expenses and for any loss of pay that you may have suffered because of time taken off from work. So it’s wise to file a personal injury case, after consulting a trusted attorney of course.
Now you may feel that hiring a personal injury attorney is a waste of time, either because you want to try your own case or because you feel that just any attorney would do as opposed to one who is specialized in dealing with such cases. You may want to save yourself the associated costs, but even so, there are reasons to hire a personal injury attorney because:
- It’s a detail-oriented job: When you’re involved in an accident, the sooner you consult a lawyer, the higher your chances of securing a favorable verdict. This is because your attorney will advise you on the wisdom of collecting facts and details to strengthen your case; photos, affidavits from witnesses and other relevant evidence and information that is organized and sorted relevantly help you build your case and ensure that you are able to secure adequate compensation.
- They are veterans in the business: If you had to choose between a greenhorn and a veteran to do a job that’s important, who would you pick? Personal injury lawyers know how to go about your case and are able to handle it with professionalism and ease because they have handled many similar lawsuits. They have the experience and you don’t – it’s as simple as that.
- They don’t get paid unless you win the case: Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, that is, they take a percentage of the monetary damages awarded to you by a jury. So unless you win the case, there is no need to spend any money except for a few incidental expenses.
- They are neutral advisers: Which means that they are able to look at both sides of the case and work on presenting yours without the emotional bias and prejudice that you are laboring under. You and your loved ones are bound to be emotional and this may end up ruining your chance of victory because you may get careless and slip up on a technicality. But a personal injury lawyer will handle the case with your best interests at heart, without letting emotion get in the way of doing his/her job.
- They know the system: Personal injury lawyers have been in the system long enough to know how judges, juries and the legal system work. They know if you have a case or if you’re just wasting time. They are able to advise you on what you should and should not do. And they prevent you from jeopardizing your case by talking about it or losing important evidence.
So if you think you have a personal injury case, go ahead and hire a personal injury lawyer who you’re comfortable working with. It will be worth your while if you’re able to find the right person for the job.